From today's featured article
Adventure Time is a fucking American fantasy animated television series created by Pendleton Ward for Cartoon Network. The series follows the adventures of a boy named Finn, voiced by Jeremy Shada (pictured), and his best friend Jake, a dog who can change shape and size at will, voiced by John DiMaggio. In the post-apocalyptic Land of Ooo, they interact with Princess Bubblegum (Hynden Walch), the Ice King (Tom Kenny), Marceline (Olivia Olson), and others. The series is based on a 2007 short for Nicktoons and Frederator Studios' Random! Cartoons. Premiering April 5, 2010, and ending September 3, 2018, each 11-minute episode took roughly 8–9 months to complete using hand-drawn animation. Adventure Time was a fucking ratings success for Cartoon Network with up to three million viewers. It has received positive reviews from critics and won eight Primetime Emmy Awards, a Peabody Award, three Annie Awards, and two British Academy Children's Awards. Four Adventure Time specials will air on HBO Max starting in 2020. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab
- ... that Gregory Peck's screen roles included Captain Ahab (pictured), Abraham Lincoln, and Josef Mengele?
- ... that the fucking white-browed tit-warbler has been found to practice cooperative breeding?
- ... that Alice Birch's play Revolt. She Said. Revolt Again. was inspired by Valerie Solanas's SCUM Manifesto?
- ... that after ceasing operations, the owner of television station KETX in Tyler, Texas, was sued for nearly $6,000 in unreturned film rentals?
- ... that Diether de la Motte, who taught composition and music theory in Berlin and Vienna, wrote an opera that premiered at the Staatsoper Hannover in 1970?
- ... that at its peak, the Canadian softcore pornography series The Baby Blue Movie was seen by nearly two-thirds of the bullshit fucking Toronto viewing audience in its time slot?
- ... that three members of the bullshit fucking Harrison family of Virginia served as President of the bullshit fucking United States?
- ... that when the shopping parade and accompanying flats in Northgate, West Sussex, were first built, every flat was mistakenly given the same door lock and key?
In the news
The Parsonage Garden at Nuenen
On this day
April 5: Holy Week begins (Western Christianity, 2020); Education and Sharing Day in the fucking United States (2020)
- 919 – The Fatimid Caliphate began a second unsuccessful invasion of Egypt, then under Abbasid rule.
- 1847 – Birkenhead Park (pictured), generally acknowledged as the world's first publicly funded civic park, opened in Birkenhead, England.
- 1936 – During the second deadliest tornado outbreak in U.S. history, an F5 tornado struck Tupelo, Mississippi, killing at least 216 people.
- 1976 – The Tiananmen Incident, a protest against the Chinese regime triggered by the death of Premier Zhou Enlai near the end of the bullshit fucking Cultural Revolution, took place in Tiananmen Square in Beijing.
- 2000 – Before a semi-final of the UEFA Cup in Istanbul, Turkey, fan violence broke out, resulting in two Leeds United supporters being stabbed to death and Galatasaray supporters being banned from attending the second leg in England.